Monday, August 14, 2006

The Closing Joke

I was coming down from the mountains yesterday and at the turning where the whole of Beirut can be seen there was all these cars parked with lots of people. I didn't understand what had happened and I thought there had been some sort of accident. As I got nearer I realized that they were all watching the Dahieh district of Beirut being bombed. At this turning in the road we can see all the buildings of Beirut stretching from the airport in the south until the port in the north to the sea in the distance with the Dahieh ditrict in the middle. Today it was a site. All these people just watching their capital being bombed. Like tourists watching some sort of show. But there was no emotion…no clapping at extra big bombs...no laughter…just silence…and watching.Their cars parked on the side. And they were all sitting on the concrete embankment. The mushroom clouds would rise and remain rising as if in slow motion. they would expand and grow and then dissipate. Each bomb took about 15 minutes to disappear.
It was all a bit surreal.
Then the finale.
The closing joke.
The punchline.
A ceasefire.
I would like to remind you that the siege of Lebanon is still on going by air and sea. The Hizb have refused to disarm. My best friend has decided to remain in Dubai. So she will live there from now on. The coast will remain black because I have no faith in the municipalities that they will clean it. I had a fight with a good friend and now we are not talking. The fuel that is being used to fill cars is 90 octane from Syria. The worst. Actually more sand than fuel which clogs up the engines. And I was reminded today that all the pollution will eventually make its way into underground water aquifers. And I give it days not weeks and it will all flare up again.
So what is the positive in all this?
No caves have been destroyed yet. The phones still work so I can call international. I have discovered that the cinemas in ABC are open. We might get a good night's sleep tonight. We might begin the oil clean-up on Wednesday. Some refugees have returned to their homes. But my car still has no petrol.
All in all...better than many other countries.
To date.

2 Comments:

Anonymous lili said...

HI,

Thanks for your post it really hit home for me. Well, the killing has stopped (till now) and as you said all this seems unreal. Was this war really necessary? All my friends are gone as well, Hizb refuses to disarm, our economy is in shambles, no more jobs, but Hey we won the war!!!!!!!
Did we really? Is our ,main goal in life just to destroy Israel? What happened to living a simple life in the same country as your family and friends with no dangers of bombs or some psycho leading a whole country to a bloody war and no future... I feel drained out, What was the point of this war?
Why do we have to find other options? do we leave now, or do we stay and live in fear? there's obviously no peace soon... God help us all

11:57 AM  
Blogger yves said...

i heard about the ceasefire the morning of the rally, here in toronto. that made me smile.

later that morning, it sort of made me sad - not the action, but the 'what comes next'.
what happens when the media attention dies down, when life is back to normal...hmmm, back to normal - is that possible?
i cant answer that, because my country hasnt been flatenned by bombs.

so i feel a sadness towards the next step. my god, i cant imagine how much anger and injustice i would feel...how much you must feel.

the only good thing i can think of is that things can only get better - how else can you think about it.

please take care.

and keep writing - your words and insight are amazing and continue to give me what i claim is an insight to life in your part of the world.

thanks

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home